Open EPS File
EPS file extension is commonly used to open vector graphics, but there are instances when it is also used to read bitmap graphics. EPS stands for Encapsulated PostScript which is used to import and export PostScript files. An EPS file contains a PostScript that describes the content of the file itself including the preview of it. This can include a 2D vector graphics, text, and bitmap images. Files of this extension can run on both Mac and Windows.
EPS file need to follow rules in defining a PostScript. Information includes Header and BoundingBox. The file should be on a single page indicated by %%Pages with values 0 or 1. File should not use operators affecting the global state. And lastly the file should not use showpage, part of an operator for PostScript.
A BoundingBox Adobe Document Structuring Conventions (DSC) comment indicates the location of the image described in the EPS file. The BoundingBox may look like %%BoundingBox: llx lly urx ury where x and y are the coordinates of the images.
Software application such as AVS, ghostscript, ghostview, and Microsoft WORD can open EPS files. For Mac operating system, application such as Apple Preview, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Photoshop, QuarkXpress, and IMSI TurboCAD can open EPS files. CorelDRAW for Windows can also open files with this extension.
Open EPS File on Windows Operating System
- Find a EPS file in question in Windows OS File Explorer and double click on it to launch the correpsonding application.
- If a EPS file is not opened in an application and you instead get a "Windows can't open a file" error message you should try looking for an application which can open the file in question.
- If you know the application which can open EPS file then run it and see if there is a File->Open main menu option in the application.
- If you don't know the application which can open EPS file then try to search for "EPS wiki", "application to open EPS file" or "open EPS file" queries in the search engine you like.
- Install the application you found and check if it can open EPS file
Rate EPS file page: 4/5 based on 21 ratings
Populating this website with information and maintaining it is an ongoing process. We always welcome feedback and questions that can be submitted by visiting Contact Us page. However since there are many users visiting this website and because our team is quite small we may not be able to follow up personally on every request. Thank you for your understanding.
For more general information about how to open EPS files, file extension eps and registry you can read one of the following articles:
- Windows registry - Windows registry is included in modern Windows operating systems to replace the older INI files which also contained system configuration. Let's concentrate on the structure and purpose of Windows System Registry, review some possible attacks to it and ways to avoid them...
- Folders, files and paths - Files are the entries or information stored on your computer. These are represented by binary coding and written on the tracks on a disk. Files are often represented by distinct icons, a normal practice done by Microsoft with their products including system files for their series of operating systems...
- What are file extensions? - File extensions are unnoticed yet are very crucial parts of the computer world. But many are still unaware of the basic foundation and principles behind the remarkable wonders of computers...